July 11, 2011

Garage Make-over

Hi. I am alive. I’ve been busy with projects and sickly kiddos, but I am back. And I will be showing you what I have been working on for the last month. 
The Garage.
I can’t find my very first before picture, so you don’t get to see that no one could park in this bad boy. I completely cleaned it out, threw away a truck load of stuff, including 3, that’s right, T-H-R-E-E Christmas trees. 
I moved all Christmas decorations out to the storage shed, and all clothes to the attic. I re-organized a lot of stuff. There is still some organization to be done, but I am pleased with the outcome. 
Along with all the organization going on, I scraped up all the old chipping paint on the floor. It was awful. Three weeks, it took me. In my defense, it probably wouldn’t have taken that long if I were just going to Lowe’s to pick up the paint remover, but Philly was ordering it through the store and they only get a truck once a week. It was a nightmare, and I did it all by myself and ended up making myself sick sniffing the fumes. 
But, then John banned me from helping with the rest, but which kinda ended up ticking me off since it took a total of 4 hours to complete over the course of two days. 
Anyway, here is the before picture. 
Some of the paint was totally stubborn
So, Friday evening, we moved everything out of the garage, and I mean everything that was on the floor. We did the acid bath on the floor as a clean and prep kind of thing. It sounded scary but was super easy. 
You mix it with water, spray off the garage floor with a hose, and then sprinkle the acid stuff on the floor, agitate with a stiff bristle brush, and then rinse off again. 
You get to wear awesome outfits too
Yep. No make up. Wet hair. And a Cherry Coke. Friday nights are exciting! 
Our stuff was everywhere!
Hey look! More stuff! 
Doesn’t everyone keep their refrigerators on the sidewalk?
Old school Oakleys.. too bad the acid ate the tint off. 
Dropping the acid… on the floor. 
Modern day Cinderella
 It needs to set for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. So, we got up Saturday morning to paint the floor. You mix the paint color with the Epoxy and it has to set for 30 minutes before using and then you have 2 hours to use it. 
You paint in small sections
 and then spread the flakes.. that was my job. 
It has to dry for 24 hours before you can walk on it, and then 72 hours until you can drive a car on it. 
Finished product.
Maybe your wondering where all the stuff went that didn’t need to sit outside in 100 degree temperatures for 72 hours… well. That answer is the inside of our house. There was STUFF everywhere. It make Philly very cranky. I can’t believe he doesn’t like to step over a wagon to get to his bedroom. 
Verdict? I love the floor. It’s amazing. And the garage is so clean. I highly recommend doing this if you have unpainted concrete. It’s not that hard to do. The scraping? I’m not sure I would do that again. It was miserable. Or maybe if I had a helper, would I consider doing that again. 

Leave a comment to Garage Make-over

  1. Glad you got some help & SO glad you finally got it finished! It looks fantastic!

  2. That floor is sooooo neat!!! Great job. :)

  3. It looks so good. We might have to try that once we find the floor to our garage again haha.

  4. It looks so cool. And it actually makes me excited to have a garage someday so I can do the same:)

  5. Oh I like that floor! You guys did great, and I love hubby's boots :)

  6. It looks great! I love the speckle stuff. My sister used that on the laundry room in her last house. I know you're glad to be done with it!

    And John in those boots? No words.

  7. Looks awesome! Not sure I would scrape the paint either. We did that last year and it took forever. Love the boots though. That is classic!

Leave a Reply