Being Judged…

You never know when it will hit.

Where you might be.

But it’s always unexpected.

JUDGEMENT.

(Scary, huh?)

You see, as moms, we worry.

Are we doing the best thing for our children? Are we teaching them the right way? Are we too hard on our kids? Should we discipline them more?

It’s a constant worry. Add working full time to that mix, and you’ve got a whole nother load of Mommy Guilt coming your way.

Who’s picking them up? Am I missing something major? Am I doing enough with them? Am I doing enough for my own sanity?

With all that worry about raising my girls to be the best they can, I tend to be a little on the vulnerable side.

I try to set aside some time for me and some time for my husband, and then rest is for the girls.

And when I am judged by what I do, it HURTS.

Add in being judged by a loved one, well… that just stepped it up a notch.

To have that person criticize the way you have chosen to bring up your kids, will cut you to the core in a way that no woman should ever know.

As if we aren’t hard enough on ourselves, we have to worry about the judgement from others.

Shouldn’t we be free from the judgement of our family and close friends?!

Is it a crime for me to want to set a good example for my children to live a healthy lifestyle by working out and eating right? What about setting goals and reaching them? Or them watching you cross the finish line of a race that you have spent the past 3 months training for? I want my girls to know that you can do anything that you set your mind to and what better way than to show them?

Can we stop the judgement? Can we put away the need to put others down for not doing things the way we would do them?

It’s time, ladies.

10 Responses to Being Judged…

• Brandy says:

I’ve never commented here (but I always read) and I’m not a runner…at all. I’m not even sure how I first stumbled on to your blog. But today, I’m stepping out of my lurker status to say AMEN! It’s beyond time.

• AMY BROWN says:

This is my first comment for your blog. You have hit the nail on the head my dear! Chin up Buttercup! Judgement from close ones shouldnt be a worry. I agree that as a mother, wife, friend, superhero..we shouldn’t have to deal judgement from the ones who suppose to care and be there for us. Be strong! It can be a daily thing to deal with but I just keep focus on the positive. Your blog has encoraged me to find myself again and start back running! I want to do this myself and my children! By the way…I am an Alabama gal also! I live in Northwest Alabama! Amen also!

• kathryn says:

I often feel like I am being judged, hello anxiety! But I’ve come to realize that most people aren’t actually judging me, they’re just as worried that I am judging them. It’s the perception of being judged that is paralyzing me, and when I think of that, I realize I just need to relax. Sometimes hurtful comments aren’t meant to be hurtful (sometimes they are) and I need to have a thicker skin and let things roll off my back. But don’t worry you’re not alone! I think everyone struggles with it.

• Casey says:

I’m sure it doesn’t make it any easier to chew but your’re doing fine! Just the fact that you care and worry says it all. We do the best we can, and at the end of the day we’re all moms. Just hoping to do better tomorrow!

• Courtney says:

agreed! There is no need for judgement. Lets encourage one another!

• I agree! Judgement is not needed. Lets support and encourage one another.

• Dottie says:

Sounds like perhaps someone sees a flaw in themselves and takes it out on you. Your children are beautiful and thriving, you and your husband seem to have a great relationship–sounds like to me you’re doing a lot of things right!

• Molly says:

You are such an amazing mom and wonderful example for your girls. You keep your chin up and brush the guilt off your shoulders. EVERYONE has an opinion and far too many want to share it. Do what you’re doing girl!

• Dani Ryan says:

Nicely said! I can’t stand it when people judge me, and I know they are. But since i became a mom, I’ve gotten better at not caring what other people think of me.

I love your blog, by the way!

• Julie says:

This is a wonderful post!

I feel judged all the time, by my husband, which is so terrible. So, even when he isn’t making a judgmental comment, I have a tendency to overreact. I’m working on it, but it’s hard, because he doesn’t understand the female guilt and mommy worries and how absolutely hurtful it is to be judged. I need to show him your post so he knows I’m not totally crazy when I talk about those things.