January 17, 2013

Ragnar Part 1…

Have you been waiting to hear about the EPICNESS of Ragnar?!

Because I have a LOT to say.

I headed out Thursday afternoon on my second flight EVER by myself and my first solo time changing planes… I was nervous, especially since they kept delaying my flight. But I made it with no problems.


Mary, Prateek, Bob, and Emily picked me up at the airport and we headed to the hotel to meet the rest of the team. I knew our Captain, Matt, was super organized, but the man owns his own laminator. And for this girl who can’t find her way out of a paper sack, I was so happy to get laminated directions of each of my legs.


I branched out, once again (I did that A LOT on this trip!) and ate some Cuban food at Versailles.. it was delish!


We headed back to the hotel to prepare for the next day and get some shut eye… and I didn’t sleep very well. I woke up about 2:30 and couldn’t go back to sleep until almost 4, and my alarm was set for 6 am.. since I was apparently the high maintenance one of the group, I had to get up first and get my shower.


We ate breakfast at the hotel.. our last real meal for 30 hours and headed to Publix for necessities like water, gatorade, peanut butter, and apparently stuffed potato balls (AMAZING. Have you tried these?!)


We headed to the start line to decorate the vans. We had an inside joke about R.O.U.S.’s (Rodents of Unusual Size) since something called an Gambian Pouched Rat had invaded part of The Keys. The are about the size of a large house cat.


The boxes to check off our completed legs.. and a spot for our “Baptisms” or Kills for some of you. (A kill is when you pass someone. You keep a tally of it and it makes you feel awesome.)


Team Saints and Sinners at the start line…


The only girls… PS Miami does NOTHING for my hair.


Van 1 set off and we had several hours to kill…. so we ate lunch and just hung out at the major exchange.

Mary was ready to Clowney her first leg!


I got the awesome task of being the first of our Van to wear night gear… awesome, right? No. Not awesome.


Octavian and I came up with our handoff… it’s awesome.


First leg was 7.6 miles and basically a slow incline the entire way. It was tough and HOT and HUMID and HOT… and did I mention it was HOT? It started cooling off once the sun started going down and it felt pretty good. But I must say, the first half of it, was HELL. But I had 5 kills.. not bad. 3 of them I passed at a traffic light, but whatevs.


After Glenn handed off to Matt at Homestead Speedway, we headed to the next exchange to eat and get some shut eye…


Yes. This is how people sleep during a Ragnar. On a sleeping bag. In the grass. Unless you are me. I kicked the boys off the back bench and snuggled in for some of the best 3 hours of sleep I’ve ever had….

If you want to read Mary’s part 1… here it is!

Leave a comment to Ragnar Part 1…

  1. I loved seeing your photos – the great big smile says it all, you had FUN!
    Way to go in for 5 kills, woman!!!

  2. Wow, you are crazy! :) (But, in a good way!)

  3. This is so cool! Can’t wait to hear the rest.

  4. […] when we last left off on Ragnar Part 1, we were settling in at our first […]

Leave a Reply