Tis the season! Right?!
While I enjoy the Holiday season, it tends to bring out my inner cray-cray. Am I alone? Probably Not. The past two years, I have been training for a half-marathon at this point in my year and all I can say is, Thank the heavens I am not right now. Life is totally crazy. I wanted to have my Christmas shopping done by Black Friday… I’m still scrambling to pick up a few things. My house is not staying clean, my schedule just keeps filling up and my To-Do List is longer than Santa’s Naughty List at the moment. Here are a few things I am trying to remember and do during the next few weeks.
1. EAT. And eat the right things. More cookies, cupcakes, and general junk are coming in and out of my house lately and it’s SO tempting. I’m not saying I’m not indulging, but I have to limit myself. Trying to concentrate on eating good portion sizes and the right kind of snacks. And drinking PLENTY of water!! I have been guilty lately of not doing this, and I always feel like crud! Holiday parties are coming up and I must remember to not go overboard on all the delicious treats. While, something made with lots of cream cheese, butter, and mayonnaise make taste like a gift from Heaven, it is absolute crap to your body. You also must keep in check your number of alcoholic beverages, it’s so easy to go a little overboard and then regret it for the next couple of days.
2. SLEEP. Sleep is a big one for me. I really need at least 8 hours. Most nights I get around 7. It really stinks to always feel tired, especially this time of year.. it really plays with your mood and general attitude! Lately, I’ve been so busy, I don’t think if I slept for 10 hours every night for a week, that I would feel caught up.
3. MOVE. This is a biggie. When I am stressed, I cling to my workouts. It forces all that tension and aggression out that is caused by those crazy Christmas shoppers. The past two weeks? I think I worked out twice. My stress level was through the roof and I had a slight meltdown on Sunday. I am not delusional… I know those two things are related. Just like Elle Woods said.. “Endorphins make you happy.”
4. ENJOY. Lastly, enjoy the Holidays! This is the season for giving. I love nothing more than getting together with family. There is no reason that you shouldn’t get to enjoy some yummy treats and meals as long as they are in moderation. Also, if you are dominating the previous trifecta, there is no reason that you won’t enjoy this season.
My new favorite person, Kelly Olexa challenged all of the FitFluential Ambassadors to share some motivational tips on how to get started with your fitness goals. Now is the time! No need to wait until New Years to set a resolution you’re not going to finish– start now, while everyone is out running crazy while shopping for Christmas presents.
1. Set your goals.
Do you want to lose 10 lbs? Tone up? Start eating better? All of the above? Maybe you just want to look smokin’ hot for you high school reunion or perhaps you want to run a 5K or a 10K by summer. Either way, you need to write them down and your plan of action for how to attain them.
2. Start Small.
Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s not realistic to think you can lose 10lbs in a week. For me, I set smaller goals within my big goal. I didn’t start running because I wanted to run a marathon. I started because I wanted to improve my cardiovascular health, lose a lbs, and run a 5K. These smaller attainable goals will help you stay on track and stay motivated.
3. Reward Yourself.
When you reach these smaller goals, reward yourself! You’ve worked hard! Maybe it’s along the lines of “When I can do 25 push-ups, I will buy myself a pair of earrings” or “When I lose 10 lbs, I will schedule myself a facial”. You should acknowledge your hard work. Your treats should be non-food items. Don’t reward yourself with food. You are not a dog.
4. Find what keeps you motivated.
Is it a workout buddy? Someone to help hold you accountable? Or maybe it’s joining a gym and meeting new people. For me, it’s finding inspirational quotes or looking on Pinterest or watching certain Alabama Football Videos. You are going to have days when you don’t feel like hitting the gym, but those will be the workouts that stick with you and make you stronger.
5. Don’t compare yourself to others.
It’s taken me a long time to not do this. But you absolutely, can NOT compare yourself to someone else. It will beat you down mentally.
6. Find what works for you.
Maybe running isn’t your thing. That’s fine! There are too many choices out there for you not to be able to find something you enjoy. There’s spin classes, CrossFit, Zumba, Yoga, swimming, and good ol’ lifting weights. The possibilities are endless for you to have that rocking’ bod.
7. Get rid of the junk!
You know those days where you are mindlessly eating? It’s best to have healthy snacks on hand. No swiss cake rolls or bags of chips. Fresh fruit and veggies, hummus, and granola are all quick and delicious choices for snacks to have on hand.
I hope you have found some of my tips helpful. And of course, I LOVE to motivate people to attain ANY goals. Whether it’s fitness, organizational, decorating, whatever. Feel free to e-mail me!
Hey y’all! I am still alive! This past week kind of took over my life and I am not very good with balance, apparently. With my family out of the country, I am taking care of tons of things for them, plus blogging for my sister on her adoption blog. I guess I’ve put all of my blogging efforts into hers. Moving on…
Since I have major problems with balancing all the aspects of my life, if you have any tips they are greatly appreciated. How can I balanace running, mom, wife, photographer, small business owner, blogger, social media addict?? I dropped runner and blogger this week in lieu of cleaning my house. It felt wonderful. Plus… decorating my tree became the most stressful event ever. I blame Pinterest to fuel my perfectionist self to decorate the perfect tree. And then Hobby Lobby decided to be out of everything I fell in love with. Why, Hobby Lobby, WHY?!
Anyway, our Elf on the Shelf, Buddy showed up this week.. What’s he been up to?!
On top of normal craziness, Addy had a practice gymnastics meet this past weekend (pictures and video to come) and her first real meet is this weekend. Which means, they added an extra gymnastics practice to each week. As if, two days of 2 hours practices wasn’t enough.
Awesome news ALERT.
I have been chosen to be a FitFluential Ambassador. I am super pumped. Complete with my very own page on their site. You might see some other familiar faces in there. The company just started in April and is growing leaps and bounds. I cannot tell you how excited I am for what is coming in 2012! If you are interested, you can apply to be a FitFluential Ambassador HERE. Be sure to tell them who sent you! Even if you don’t blog, you can apply to be a FitFluential Enthusiast.
I also remembered I used to like to run this week and decided to hop back on that treadmill. It was nice. And it hurt. I have also starting planking every day and trying to do some push-ups… my lack of upper body strength is scary.
What have YOU been up to??